Thursday 24 November 2011

Che Bello Sandwicha, DiRienzo

Ok, fact is I grew up in Hamilton.  Hamilton is not exactly know for it's fine cuisine but the Italian presence makes for some pretty good traditional food.  There was a place we all frequented growing up called Rotella's Deli.  Seniora Rotella made us her version of a sandwich with fresh deli meat, home made bread, home sauce and spicey cheese and peppers.  All in all the best sandwich in the Hammer.
Now living in Ottawa I strayed to this "joint" called DiRienzo's today.  It's essentially a make shift deli, in a house extension just off the hip Preston strip in a residential neighborhood. It's crowded, old, smells of bread, the line up stretches outside to the street and is run with modern assembly line perfection.  In a nutshell, my kinda place.  I ordered the #12 with all the fixing's.  Roast beef, spicy provolone, lettuce, tomato, eggplant, mustard on a fresh ciabata style bun, $5.  This sandwich took me back to Mrs. Rotella's and the sandwich that set a pretty high standard.  If you haven't been I'll make you an offer you can't refuse and guarantee you Ottawa's best sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment